Thursday, May 31, 2012

Write Around The Corner


In case you've been wondering, I have been continuing to work on my novel. I still have a hundred pages to edit. It's taken FOREVER to get it edited to the point that I'm ready to push it out into the world. Okay, maybe just to my husband and a few beta reading friends.

Honestly, it's MUCH worse than taking Grace to daycare for the first time or dropping her off at the first day of kindergarten. No one was going to judge me for doing those things. They were expected. Natural. Necessary.

This is terrifying. The more I read and work on my story the more I think, "Uh, this is probably not good enough."

But you know what? It's almost finished and by God; it's going somewhere.

This Saturday at the monthly Ozarks Romance Authors  meeting, I'll get a chance to practice my pitch. A pitch is when you get to try to sell your story to a real LIVE editor or publisher. It's your chance to play salesman and cheerleader all in one.

I've spoken to LOTS of civic groups, hospital administrators, principals, church volunteers and kids. When I pitch to an actual live EDITOR and PUBLISHER on Saturday June 23, it will be the most terrifying thing EVER. Seriously, I can't even picture her naked. That would only make it worse. I have butterflies just thinking about it. But you know what? I'm totally going to do it.

I'm gonna sell that sucker like it's the next Sookie Stackhouse book. Then I'll hope she wants to see more. Then I'll hope when I send it to her she won't say, "Thanks but this is not for us."

If she does, I'll self-publish it, sell it for $2.99 to all my adoring friends and family (all twelve of you) and start again because this dream isn't over. Not nearly.

I can do this.

If you would like to do this too. Write a novel that is... you should totally join us on Saturday June 23 at the Howard Johnson in Springfield for ORA CON. I promise it will be $50 well spent.

Viva la dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment :)